Al-Sayeda Nafeesah Mosque is a mosque in Al-Sayeda Nafeesah district in Cairo, Egypt. It is built to commemorate Sayeda Nafeesah, an acclaimed Islamic scholar and a member of household of the Islamic prophet Muhammad. The mosque has Sayeda Nafeesah’s mausoleum inside.
The mosque is located on Ahl al-Bayt street, where numerous mausoleums commemorating well known Islamic figures exist along the way.
Nafeesah is the daughter of Hassan ibn Zaid ibn Hassan ibn Ali ibn Abi Talib, may Allah bless him. She was born in Makkah and grew up in Madina; then she came to Egypt in 193 AH.
Nafeesah stayed in Egypt until she died in 208 AH / 824 AD. Then, she was buried in her home that became later on a mosque called the mosque of Nafeesah. Nafeesah was a good lady; she memorized the holy Quran, and she was even explaining it.
Al-Maqrizi’s plans indicate that the first person who built the tomb of Nafeesah was Obaidullah ibn al-Suri, governor of Egypt during the Abbasid era.
Fatimid Caliph Al-Mustansir ordered to renew the shrine. There is a marble tablet placed on the door of the shrine which shows the name of the Fatimid caliph Mustansir and his titles.
The dome was renovated during the reign of Fatimid caliph al-Hafez, after some cracks were occurred.
The mihrab (prayer niche) was also covered with marble in 1138.
The mausoleum was renewed in the Ottoman era during the reign of Prince Abd al-Rahman Katkhuda, which he built the shrine on the form existing until today. There are entrances for male and female, and the entrances were renovated in the modern era with marbles.
When the fire destroyed a large part of the mosque in 1310 AH / 1892 AD ‘Khedive Abbas Pasha’ ordered to re-build it as well as the shrine, and that were in 1314 AH / 1897 AD.
The entrance of the mosque is in the center of the main face of the mosque and covered by a Cornice dome. The entrance leads to the inside of the mosque which is a square space with a wooden roof which has beautiful Arab motifs. There is a hall that leads to the shrine through a whole, and inside it there is a brass cabin that was built over the tomb.