An oval-shaped island in the Nile at Aswan, north of Elephantine Island is the smaller, Kitchener Island (the Island of trees). It is located near the west bank of the Nile.
The island is called Kitchener Island because in 1899, Lord Kitchener, during his military campaigns in Sudan, made this island the headquarters for his army. It was then known as Lord’s House.
When he moved to the island he created his garden on the island by importing plants and trees from all over the world.
Today, Kitchener Island is still filled with beautiful plants and birds.
Kitchener Island can only be reached by boat. There are other islands but Kitchener Island and Elephantine Island are the largest.
The visitor to Kitchener’s Island today will find a peaceful paradise, full of beautiful flowers and unusual plants.