The Church of St. George is a Greek Orthodox Church within the Babylon Fortress. It was erected upon the northern tower of the Fortress of Babylon and echoes its round shape.
The church dates back to the 10th century but a fire destroyed the present church dates only from 1904.
The Church of St. George is an active church. That is, it is still used as a church. In fact, it is considered to be the country’s principle Greek Orthodox Church.
The church can be reached through a flight of stairs and is crowned by an impressive dome. Tradition has it that St. George was kept in a prison close to the church and martyred there.
St. George is the only round church in Egypt, it is built atop the foundations of a Roman round tower.
A flight of steps leads down into the old Roman tower.
The interior of the Greek Orthodox St. George church is accessed through the massive front doors. The interior of the church is renowned for its beautiful stained glass and the abundance of rich darkly stained wood.