It is located in Old Cairo near the Hanging Church of St. Mary. It was built on the remains of the Roman Fortress of Babylon surrounded by oldest churches. It was established by Murcus Semika Pasha in 1908. Only the Coptic Museum had an Egyptian founder and director.
He called Pope Kiroles V to help him in establishing this museum; the Pope agreed to his proposal and gave him a silver Gospel caskets and Liturgical vessels bearing 14th and 15th century.
The museum consists of two wings:
1. The Old Wing consists of 13 sections.
2. The New Wing consists of 17 halls.
The Coptic museum started as a church museum.
The Coptic museum houses the world’s most important examples of Coptic art.