After years of attempts and hard work, the great Egyptologist, Auguste Mariette, was paramount in the opening of the Egyptian Museum, located in the famous Tahrir Square, when it opened to public on the November 15th, 1902.
Situated in front of the main entrance of the Museum Of Egyptian Antiquities, is a small artificial lake surrounded by the lotus and the papyrus plants, the most revered plants to the ancient Egyptians.
The Museum Of Egyptian Antiquities consists of two floors; the ground floor that hosts the bigger displays such as coffins, huge statues, pillars, chapels, shrines and stone carvings.
The displays of the ground floor were organized according to the historical periods which are the Old Kingdom, the Intermediate Period, the New Kingdom, the Late Period, the Greco Roman Period, and the antiquities of the Nubia.
The upper floor of the Museum Of Egyptian Antiquities hosts the smaller displays that include funerary objects, smaller statues, papyrus papers, boats, chairs, beds, mummy’s rooms, wooden coffins, jewelry, and most importantly, the displays of the Tutankhamun tomb.