The High Dam of Aswan is one of the most important achievements of Egypt during the last century.
The Aswan Low Dam was constructed in 1898 under the direction of Sir William Willcocks. The dam was completed in 1902 and was raised several times to alleviate the Nile from flooding.
However, the Aswan Low Dam was not able to control the annual flooding, which gave rise to the idea of constructing a higher dam in 1952.
After the revolution of July 1952, President Nasser announced his proposal for building the High Dam.
The dam was constructed to regulate the flow of the river, which serves the whole of Egypt.
Work began on January, 1960 and the completed dam was opened in the 1971. This gigantic building is 111m in height, 3.5km in length. It has a hydro-electric plan.
As a result of its construction, a great lake was formed between Egypt and Sudan, Lake Nasser.
The dam also improved navigation across the Nile, benefiting the tourism and fishing industries. Water from the dam is used to feed 12 power turbines, which provides half of Egypt’s power demands.